Cotton Bureau sprang up from the same guys that put together United Pixelworkers. It’s a crowd-source t-shirt design platform aimed at designers and illustrators. The big difference between this and something like threadless is the onus is on the author to sell at least 25 so the shirt goes to print. Oh, and you have to do it in 2 weeks. It’s a tough sell with so many great designs to compete with, but it’s been a really great experience so far.
I’m sure they have a lot more in store, but so far it’s been an amazing way to see what sells and what doesn’t so far.
What you’re about to hear is the most elegant technical explanation I’ve heard over the last 12 months. I don’t know what else to call it besides pure futurist poetry.
Give it a read:
For those of you not familiar with some of this terminology, what they’re saying is that someone accidentally knocked the cable out of the port and they plugged it back in.
Photo by Dan Foy
I actually didn’t start with Statamic. I started with @Dropplets. Let me first say that I realize the point of Dropplets is to provide the most basic, feature-bare content publishing platform available. I also realize it’s still in development. That being said, my experience started with a discouraging installation process, battling with some errors right off the bat. That experience along with the lack of features and strong recommendation lead to giving Statamic a shot.
I was a little disappointed that this wasn’t an open source project, but after doing a good amount of research into the system I decided it was the type of system I wanted to experiment with. It is baed on a flat-file structure with an extended platform for themes, custom fields and add-on functionality. It also provided enough potential customization that you could bend it to your will and use it to help people start publishing on the web without relying strictly on a blogging format.
The installation process was a breeze. The documentation on Statamic’s website is thorough while still being an easy read. There were some slight disconnects for me with add-ons and themes, but I quickly discovered the issues I was having and remedied the errors.
The admin UI is sparse and a little horsey in places, but I’m not sure if that’s just because I’m so used to the WordPress or Drupal UI. I can imagine ditching it entirely in the near future in favor of editing the flat files directly. That seems more intuitive from a development perspective.
UI conveniences be damned! I’m only up to my second knuckle in the guts of this system and it feels pretty clean to me! There’s power in these walls and I can smell it. I’m still on the hunt, though. I’ll report back after I’m up to my elbows.
Conclusion to be determined. I’ll update this post or have a follow-up as I’m digging more into the system.